The Pan Bagna, a delectable Mediterranean version of America’s Hero sandwich, is the ideal snack to take along to a picnic.
The Monte Carlo, which blends harmoniously with the Pan Bagna, may be mixed in advance and transported to the desired location in a vacuum bottle. Try this intriguing combination the next time you host a tailgate lunch or other outdoor social event.
This version of the Pan Bagna is Card 61 from the 2 in 1 International Recipe Card Collection.
- 1 loaf French or Italian bread
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 2 cups cabbage shredded
- 1/4 cup parsley finely chopped
- 1/4 cup basil finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pimiento chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers drained
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 8- ounce can olives pitted and sliced
- 10 anchovy fillets rinsed and chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Slice loaf in half, hero-style. With sharp knife, trace 1/2-inch border around bread and hollow out bread halves with fingers, leaving 1/2-inch bread shell. Place crumbled bread in large mixing bowl.
Add onions, parsley, basil, pimiento, capers, olive oil, vinegar, and tomato paste to bowl. Mix thoroughly and let stand for several minutes.
Sprinkle bowl with sliced olives. Add anchovies, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
Stuff mixture into bottom half of hollowed-out bread loaf, mounding gently. Place top on and press gently. Wrap loaf tightly in 2 thickness foil and refrigerate at least 24 hours.
To serve, remove foil and place loaf on long serving platter or bread board. Slice crosswise; serve with cocktail plates and forks.