Contrasting colors and flavors make this dish as delicious as it is attractive. Peanuts are more nutritious, but cashews or almonds may be used, if preferred.
Vegetarian Card 34
Contrasting colors and flavors make this dish as delicious as it is attractive. Peanuts are more nutritious but cashews or almonds may be used, if preferred.
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced or pressed
- 1 tart apple peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 1 1/3 cup yellow summer squash or zucchini diced
- 1 2/3 cup uncooked long-grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 vegetarian bullion cubes
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup peanuts, almonds, or cashews optional, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas thawed
In a large saucepan, saute onion, garlic, apple, and curry powder in oil for about 5 min.
Add carrots, squash, and rice. Saute about 5 min. longer.
Add raisins, bouillon cubes, water, and lemon juice. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 35 min. or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Stir in peas. Heat through. Sprinkle with nuts, if used.
Good served with: Chutney, chopped green onions, shredded coconut and/or other condiments.
For 2 servings: Half of the ingredients.
For 8 servings: Double the ingredients but only use 3 1/2 cups water
MCMLXXXII Collectors House, Inc. All Rights Reserved Printed in Norway