The vegetable-laden red sauce in this dish dresses up a basic meatloaf recipe.
Great Ways With Ground Meat #33 Card 14
- 1 1/2 lb ground round
- 3/4 cup onion chopped
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 5.3 oz can evaporated milk
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- parsley for garnish optional
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 green pepper chopped
- 3 tablespoons onion chopped
- 1 2 oz can sliced mushrooms with liquid
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons water
Prepare the meatloaf
Combine meatloaf ingredients. Shape into a loaf and place in a 8 1/2-by 4 1/2-inch lightly oiled loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Cool 10 minutes.
Prepare the sauce
Melt butter in small saucepan. Add green pepper and onion. Saute 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
Add mushrooms with liquid and tomato sauce.
Mix cornstarch, salt, and thyme with water. Stir into pepper and onion mixture.
Return pan to heat. Bring to boiling. Boil, stirring, for 1 minute or until sauce clears and thickens.
Slice meatloaf into 3/4-inch pieces. Spoon hot creole sauce over slices. Garnish with parsley.
- Good served with rice, slices of whole wheat bread, and a crisp lettuce salad.
- For 8 servings: Double the ingredients. Shape into 2 loaves.
MCMLXXXII Collectors House, Inc. All Rights Reserved Printed in Norway