Vada writes that “You had a recipe for peanut butter fudge but I don’t see it anywhere on this list I missed placed my card when I moved, this is the only fudge recipe I use, so if you still have this anywhere could you please send it, thank you”
I’ve got it! This is card 14 of section 27 – candies and confections. And there’s COFFEE in the recipe – interesting!
Chunky Peanut Butter Fudge
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup strong coffee
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Put the sugar, milk, coffee, and corn syrup into large heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugars are dissolved.
Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, without stirring, until temperature reaches 238 or a soft ball forms in cold water.
Remove from heat. Add peanut butter and vanilla. Do not mix.
When mixture is lukewarm, beat until thick and creamy. Quickly pour into a greased 7x7 or 7-8-inch round pan, spreading quickly with a spatula.
When fudge is firm, mark with sharp knife and cut into squares or remove from pan and break into irregular pieces
- To cool the cooked syrup quickly, set in a pan of cooled water.
- Use a candy thermometer if possible for best results.
- If candy suddenly "fudges" before you can spread it, pick it up with your hands and knead it smooth.
- Spread into pan or form into a roll, dip into melted semi-sweet chocolate, then in finely chopped nuts.
- For super-smooth fudge, ripen candy overnight in an airtight container.