There’s no explanation on Card 66 from the 2 in 1 International Recipe Card Collection as to the inspiration for these ham balls, nor for the reason that they’re paired with two cocktails named after snakes.
I can only guess it’s the bite of the cayenne pepper and the bite from the whiskey in the drinks.
Regardless, it makes about two dozen balls, which can be arranged on party skewers for creative kebabs. All of these suggest a dipping sauce, but no recipe for the sauce is provided. What kind of sauce would you try?
You may need a Rattlesnake or Copperhead to help you along.
Deviled Ham Balls
- 2 4 1/2- ounce cans deviled ham
- 1 3- ounce package cream cheese
- 1/4 cup gherkins minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup parsley finely chopped
Combine ham, cream cheese, gherkins, cayenne, and mustard in mixing bowl; mix well.
Form mixture in small balls about the size of walnuts. Roll lightly in parsley and refrigerate until chilled thoroughly, about an hour.
Serve on skewers with mustard or mayonnaise.
- Deviled Polynesian Kebabs: Deviled Ham Balls alternating with pineapple chunks and green peppers, served with Polynesian sweet and sour sauce.
- Deviled Chinese Kebabs: Deviled Ham Balls alternating with water chestnuts and pickled mushrooms served with Chinese mustard and soy sauce.
- Deviled Cherry Kebabs: Deviled Ham Balls alternating with cherry tomatoes and pearl onions served with mayonnaise.
- Deviled Shrimp Kebabs: Deviled Ham Balls alternating with small cooked shrimp and green pepper strips. No dipping sauce.