Party Vegetable Salad is Card 18 in Section 2 (Salads and their Dressings) of My Great Recipes. This salad is great for a party because you do most of the work the day before.
Select a pretty, deep, clear glass bowl to show off the layers of vegetables. Refrigerate the salad overnight. Just before serving, top with sliced tomatoes, hard-cooked eggs, bacon, and cheese. This is excellent for a buffet meal.
Party Vegetable Salad
- 1 small head lettuce shredded
- 2/3 cup green onions chopped
- 2/3 cup celery chopped
- 1 green pepper thinly sliced
- 1 5- ounce can water chestnuts drained and sliced
- 1 10- ounce package frozen peas unthawed
- 1 tablespoon mixed salad herbs
- 2 medium tomatoes sliced
- 3 hard-cooked eggs sliced
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese sliced
- 6 slices bacon cooked crisp and quartered
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 1 cup salad oil
In a large, clear glass salad bowl, layer first the celery evenly. Top with onion, celery, green pepper, water chestnuts, and then unthawed green peas, making an even layer of each ingredient.
Put egg, parmesan cheese, viengar, salt, pepper, and mustard for mayonnaise in blender container or work bowl of food processor fitted with the steel blade. Turn motor on. Very slowly add oil, blending until an emulsified mayonnaise forms. Makes 1 1/2 cups.
Spread Parmesan Mayonnaise evenly over the top. Sprinkle with herbs.
Cover and refrigerate overnight.
The next day, layer top of salad with sliced eggs, sliced tomatoes, cheese, and bacon, if used.