The Kitchen Kompanion cookbook from the Lansing Christian Reformed Church is falling apart.
Literally, the previous owner taped the cover back onto the cookbook. They also wrote favorite recipes on the cover:
- p. 55 Zucchini Cass.
- p. 69 S. Potatoes
- p. 38 Fudge Pbutter
This spiral bound, locally produced cookbook is a delight. Actually, I think I say that about most locally made cookbooks.
The pages of this fragile cookbook are yellowed with age and seem well worn.
I couldn’t find this specific church in Lansing anymore. There seem to be a dozen or more Christian Reformed Churches, so it’s hard to tell which one of those used to simply be called Lansing Christian Reformed Church.
The table of contents doesn’t tell you that there are also a few advertisements in the last pages. I forgot to get pictures of them, which is not a big deal because -like the rest of the cookbook- the ads are just typed.
- Riverside Manor Motel, Washington and Main Streets, 5 blocks south of the Capitol. “Lansing’s Beautiful Downtown Motel.”
- There’s more solid goodness in Swift’s Ice Cream. It’s firmer, it’s richer in flavor, get plenty for everybody.
- Riverside Manor Coffee Shop, Washington and Main Streets.
- Seven Up bottling company of Central Michigan.
- Modern Wholesale Electric Supply Company, 2143 East Grand River, Okemos
- Christian Supply Center, 110 N. Washington Avenue, Lansing 16, Michigan. Give the best in religious gifts, beautiful 3-D sculptured plaques, pictures, bibles, recordings, etc.
- Typewriter Repair, Verne Cornelisse, Mason, MI
- Home Dairy Co, 319-21 S. Washington.
- Hartley Printing Co, creative
letter press, lithographing, 413 North Larch.
- Rouser Drug Company – two locations – 2909 East Grand River and 123 S. Washington downtown. Prescription pharmacy, sick room supplies,
wheel chairs, crutches, vaporizers, first aid supplies, fine toiletries, hypo allergeniccosmetics, surgical garments, elastic hose.
- Bible Nook and Church Supply, 218 East Elm. Religious books – pictures – for every occasion.
- Architectural Building Specialities – South Cedar annex – Box 9154 – Lansing 9, Michigan. Building material, garage doors, roof trusses, windows, patio doors, storms and screens, sales and service. Ed Breuker.
Here’s a deviled apple appetizer, pot-old gold punch, and Hawaiian cooler.
Recipes for two cakes – an apple-date and a chocolate date nut.
Spaghettti-O-Rama — Spanish, Franco-American, and Irish Italian – :))
Cookies, because I love cookies.
With a title like “My Favorite Banana Cake,” I couldn’t pass up including this recipe.
Hamburger patties dipped in milk, mustard, Worcestershire sauce – then rolled in crushed corn flakes and baked in the oven.
Chocolate Lush? Oh, yes please!!
What mid-century cookbook would be missing a Jell-O salad? Absolutely none, that’s which cookbook. Here’s a cantaloupe and cabbage salad. Mmmmm?
Cantaloupe and Cabbage Salad
- 1 package lemon jello
- 1 cup pineapple juice heated to boiling
- 1 7- ounce bottle ginger ale
- 1 cup cantaloupe
- 1 cup pineapple drained
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts chopped
- 1 cup cabbage finely shredded
Dissolve jello in hot juice. Add ginger ale and chill until mixture begins to thicken.
Add the rest of the ingredients and chill until firm.
To make this a truly Michigan recipe, use Vernor’s Ginger Ale. It’s a ginger ale that is sold (pretty much) only in Michigan.
But wait, you say…. What about those three favorite recipes you mentioned at the beginning of this post? Here you go!
Peanut Butter Fudge
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 tablespoons white syrup
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 pinch salt
Combine all ingredients except vanilla, peanut butter, and butter.
Boil until a soft ball forms in dish of cold water.
Remove from heat, add vanilla, butter, and peanut butter, and beat until thick.
The recipe does not mention pouring this out into a prepared pan, but I expect you’d do that. What size of pan do you think would work? I’m guessing a 9×13.
Zuchini and Meat Sauce Casserole
- 2 pounds zuchinni squash cut in thin slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 10 3/4 ounce can Franco-American Spaghetti Sauce with meat
- 1/4 pound sharp cheddar cheese shredded
Melt butter in 2 quart sauce pan; add zuchinni and salt and cover tightly. Cook over low heat about 15 minutes until tender, stirring with a fork when about half done.
Add the spaghetti sauce and half the cheese. Mix well.
Pour into greased casserole dish and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes until it bubbles and cheese is melted.
I’m guessing you’d need a 2-quart casserole dish for this, but maybe something bigger. What do you think?
- 3 cups potatoes sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 cups milk
Place layers of potatoes in greased baking dish, sprinkling each layer with flour, salt, and bits of butter. Repeat until all potatoes are used.
Bake uncovered in hot oven at 400 for 20 minutes.
Heat milk and add to hot potatoes. Bake 30 minutes longer.
No mention of the size of the dish here either – any guesses?