This hearty main dish salad makes a meal when served with hot, crusty bread and some fresh fruit and cheese. It has a robust quality that makes it a favorite.
This salad must be thoroughly chilled. You can assemble it several hours in advance and refrigerate. You may prefer to serve the salad with dressing on the side. Double the dressing so there will be ample for spooning over serving portions.
Salads and Their Dressings, Section 2, Card 12
Ham and Egg Salad
- 1 large head butter lettuce
- 3 potatoes cooked, peeled, and cubed
- 1 12- ounce can whole kernel corn drained
- 1 10- ounce package frozen peas cooked and cooled
- 1 1/2 cups ham cooked
- 3 hard-cooked eggs quartered
- 1 1/2 tablespoon pimento diced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon chives chopped
Line salad bowl with lettuce leaves. Attractively arrange potatoes, corn, peas, ham, eggs, and pimiento over lettuce. Cover and chill 2 hours or more.
Prepare dressing by combining all ingredients until well mixed. Cover and chill.
At serving time, pour dressing over the salad, tossing gently until well coated.