This Beef Salad from My Great Recipes is an excellent way to use any cooked pot roasted beef you might have on hand.
The success of the salad depends on how long you marinate the meat in spicy dressing. It needs at least three to four hours. It is pretty when served with a selection of marinated vegetables, sliced tomatoes, sliced sweet pickles, or gherkins and hard-cooked eggs.
This recipe for Beef Salad is from Salads and Their Dressings, Section 2, Card 14.
Beef Salad Vinaigrette
- 2 cups cold pot roast beef cut julienne
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 cup olive or salad oil
- 2 tablespoons capers drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced or pressed
- 3 tablespoons parsley finely minced
- 1-2 red onions sliced
- 2 to matoes peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup sweet gherkins
- 2 hard-cooked eggs sliced
Trim pot roast of all fat and gristle; julienne pieces should be 1/4-inch by 1 1/2 to 2 inches.
In small mixing bowl, combine the vinegar, salt, pepper, and mustard. Whisk in the oil until mixture is emulsified or well blended. It will separate after standing. Add the capers, garlic, and half the parsley.
Pour dressing over meat, mix carefully. Cover and marinate 3 hours or more. Serve on shallow platter, garnished with tomatoes, gherkins, sliced eggs, onions, and remaining parsley.