This unusual salad combines pineapple with sauerkraut, Canadian bacon, and apple. It is a refreshing main dish salad when served with hot rolls or muffins and a beverage.
If desired, you can substitute 1 1 pound 4 ounce can pineapple chunks (drained) for the pineapple and cooked ham for the Canadian bacon.
Salads and Their Dressings, Section 2, Card 98
Pineapple Salad Strasbourg Salad
- 1/2 large pineapple cut into chunks
- 1 8- ounce can sauerkraut drained
- 1 red apple cored and diced
- 1 1/2 cups Canadian bacon cut into 1-inch strips
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lemonjuice
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
Combine salad ingredients in large bowl until well mixed. Cover and chill 30 minutes or longer.
In separate bowl, stir together all dressing ingredients. Cover and chill.
When ready to serve, line serving bowl or individual serving plates with lettuce leaves. Spoon chilled salad over the lettuce. Pour dressing over top.