This ice cream dessert is perfect for Christmas time, and it comes from Cross Country Cookery. Feel free to use frozen orange juice concentrate in place of the triple sec.
Spumoni with Holly Berry Sauce
For the ice cream
- 3 pints chocolate ice cream softened
- 1 pint pistachio ice cream softened
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream softened
- 1/2 cup candied mixed fruits
- 2 teaspoon rum flavoring
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream whipped
For the Holly Berry Sauce
- 1 10 oz pkg frozen raspberries defrosted
- 1 10 oz pkg frozen strawberries defrosted
- 2 tablespoon triple sec
Make the Ice Cream
Place a 2 1/2 quart melon mold in freezer.
In large bowl, beat chocolate ice cream until smooth, but not melted. Quickly press evenly inside mold in 1" thick layer. Freeze until firm.
Repeat with pistachio pressed evenly over chocolate.
Combine vanilla ice cream, candied fruits, and rum flavoring. Beat till well blended, but not melted. Press into center. Freeze.
Make the Holly Berry Sauce
Put berries and triple sec into blender. Whirl till smooth. Strain. Serve in refrigerator till serving time.
Finish the Dessert
Unmold the ice cream. Decorate with sweetened whipped cream. Serve topped with Holly Berry Sauce.