A bed of greens is piled with wedges of hard-cooked eggs, avocados, oranges, and artichokes. Each person can make his own salad and drizzle a creamy artichoke dressing over all.
Good served with crisp sour dough rolls and a roast pork loin. In the summer, serve with a heaping mound of whole shrimp or crab meat and French bread brushed with herb butter. For dessert, thinly sliced lemon pound cake and strawberry sherbet.
This dressing makes a nice sauce for whole cooked artichokes. The addition of chilled shrimp can turn this salad into a main dish.
Salads and Their Dressings, Section 2, Card 92
Artichoke Avocado Salad
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce washed and chilled
- 4 hard-cooked eggs quartered lengthwise
- 1 1/2 avocados peeled and sliced
- 2 navel oranges peeled and cut into sections
- 1 6- ounce jar marinated artichokes divided
- 3 tablespoons marinade
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 peeled avocado
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
Place romaine leaves on large platter. Arrange eggs, avocados, and oranges over top. Also place half of the artichokes on top.
Use the remaining artichokes for the dressing, plus the marinade, olive oil, red wine vinegar, avocado, and yogurt until well blended. Stir in green onions.
Serve salad immediately for each person to make his own salad.