This recipe card from the Red Plastic Box collection has two recipes: Apple Custard and Applesauce Bran Cookies.
This is card No. 1491 from the Home Services Department of the Michigan Consolidated Gas Company.
“Meal preparation is quick and easy with the CP Gas Range.”
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup milk scalded
Beat eggs slightly, stir in sugar and vanilla.
Add applesauce and milk; pour into custard cups. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
Place in oven in shallow pan filled with 1 inch boiling water
Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until set.
Applesauce Bran Cookies
Makes 4 dozen
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon soda
1 cup sweetened applesauce
1 cup raisins
1 cup cooking bran
1. Sift dry ingredients together.
2. Cream shortening; add sugar gradually and cream until light.
3. Add egg and beat well.
4. Add soda to applesauce and mix thoroughly.
5. Add applesauce to creamed mixture alternately with dry ingredients.
6. Add bran and raisins and mix well. Drop by teaspoons on greased cookie sheet.
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 375 for 12-15 minutes.