Beans are a wonderful meat extender and enjoyable and nutritious as well. Try this inexpensive and easy variation of the ever-popular Sloppy Joe.
Sandwiches #31, Card #4
Bean Sloppy Joes
- 1/4 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- few dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 16 oz can pork and beans
- 4 hamburger buns split and toasted
Crumble meat into 10-inch skillet with cover. Add onion. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until onion is tender.
Stir in flour and seasonings. Add chili sauce, water and beans, and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes.
Serve on buns. Garnish with fresh chopped tomatoes and onions if you'd like.
- Use New England style pork and beans if available
- Mixture may be made ahead, refrigerated, and reheated when ready to serve. Mixture even improves when standing.
- Good served with a green salad or marinated tomatoes
- For 2 servings: Half of the ingredients but use 1 can (about 8 oz) pork and beans.
- For 8 servings: Double the ingredients.
MCMLXXXII Collectors House, Inc. All Rights Reserved Printed in Norway